27 February - 19 March
“I am a contemporary painter who lives and works in Wellington. When you look at the first abstract paintings/prints , you turn back to the very basics of modernist art the interplay of lines, shapes, colors; you feel the power of these structural elements as those most fundamental forces of nature that shape us. Although I acquired academic art training through secondary and higher education from an early age, this time inspired by the elusive nature of water, I wanted to reveal my intuitive side. Water is painted by feeling, especially one which forms a wave. Supported by the safety of previously acquired painting techniques, I made an accent on a line, a color, a stain, a dot, mixed in a controlled coincidence.
Life near the ocean opens your mind toward the future and how we can destroy or save our planet. I am aware of the human influence on the planet, oceans and what effect people have on ocean life. Living in Wellington for 11 years gave my art a different perspective. I have a reverence for nature and love of the outdoors. My day regularly includes beach walks, which inspire my choice of subject of water.
I earned my Masters in Art-Painting degree at the Academy of Applied Arts in Belgrade, Serbia. I was awarded first place in an international exhibition for a portrait done in oil on canvas. Selection was made out of 410 artists that participated and I became the first student to be awarded in this exhibition’s history.”
Publications & Achievements:
- 30 June 2020, Manhattan TV NY, premier of a documentary “Sacred Waters, The Cry of the Oceans” with Jelena’s work featured as a part of the short film which will be distributed to film festivals in NY and LA
- October 2020, Larnaka Biennale Greece, representing New Zealand
- The Art Tour International Magazine,” Artists of the decade”, winter issue 2020, Barnes and Noble print edition, distributed in 650 bookstores in USA
- Spring issue 2020, “Conservations of Oceans “in collaboration with the Green Planet and Create 4 Peace organizations, published by Barnes and Noble, distributed in 650 bookstores in USA
- October 2021, Florence Biennale – Italy, representing New Zealand and Serbia , where Jelena is nominated for the award “Lorenzo Il Magnifico.” Among previous winners were internationally well-known artists: Marina Abramovic and David Hockney. The exhibition catalog will have a full page of Jelena’s work and the biography that will be distributed to several libraries in Europe.
For more recent images of our current art collection, sculpture, glass or any other authentic NZ made gifts showing in our gallery, please visit our Facebook page www.facebook.com/theartloungenz
Exhibition & Sale
28 February – 19 March 2020. Tuesdays – Saturdays, 11am – 4pm.
Please contact us for further information about artworks availability, prices, interest-free art loans and art postage. Worldwide shipping available: insured, door to door service.
We specialise in Exclusive (monthly) Exhibitions & Events that encourage, educate and entertain while recognising excellence in the visual arts. Please see few samples of our previous exhibitions below or visit our Facebook or Instagram pages to see more.
Our Venue is also available for hire. Please get in touch with us to discuss your requirements. Happy to help!
Professional, fine artists with unique styles, please get in touch with us for an exhibition opportunity. Please email us your brief bio/ artist statement and 3-5 best images of your work. For availability and prices, please click the button below to get in touch with us.